White Bean And Mushroom “Meatballs”
- 1 1/2 (15 oz.) cans white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz. button mushrooms, scrubbed with a damp towel to remove dirt and chopped
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for garnish
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- marinara sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line 1-2 baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion until softened. 5-7 minutes.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add mushrooms and garlic and cook until tender and fragrant.
- Season everything with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, then add drained white beans and lemon juice and stir together.
- Transfer mixture to food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until coarse and combined.
- Pour in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley, and pulse together.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper (and red pepper flakes, if so desired).
- Use a spoon to form small, equal-sized “meatballs” and roll them each in breadcrumbs before placing on lined baking sheet.
- Place baking trays in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until browned on top.
- Remove trays from oven and flip meatballs over, then return to oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove from oven and serve, as is, or with marinara sauce and extra cheese.
Recipe adapted from The Loosely Followed Recipes