Enjoy This Delicious Casserole Any Day Of The Week!
I don’t know about you but the first few weeks after the holidays I’m always on a pretty tight budget.
I tend to spend a lot of money on Christmas presents and decorations (yes, I spoil my kids) so I want to make sure I get “back on track” as soon as the festivities are over. That means I also pay attention to what kind of meals I’m cooking. It doesn’t mean I will start feeding my family noodle soup and crackers for the next three weeks, but I carefully choose ingredients that are savory, hearty – yet, inexpensive.
Cabbage fits the criteria perfectly so we are having all kinds of cabbage dishes in the near future! I intend to make a special cabbage soup to shed a couple of pounds… but before I do that, I want to get started with this awesome cabbage casserole I found over at Food & Family.
If you love cabbage rolls but don’t have the time or energy to go through all the hassle of making them, I suggest you give this yummy recipe a try. You get all the wonderful flavors with half the effort!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
Use whole grain brown rice for an even healthier dish.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8.
- 3 Smart Points