FOR THE CAKE
- 1 c. butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for pans, sifted
- 2 c. sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut
FOR THE FROSTING
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 3 tbsp. coconut milk
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease two 8” round cake pans with butter and line them with parchment paper. Grease them with more butter and dust lightly with flour.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, combine butter and sugar and cream until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, then fold in the coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and smooth the top with a knife. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let the cakes cool in pans on cooling racks for 30 minutes, then invert the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and coconut milk until fluffy and combined. Slowly add powdered sugar until creamy.
- Top one round cake layer with coconut frosting, then place the second cake on top of it. Frost the top and sides of the cake, then sprinkle all over with coconut and press coconut into the sides of the cake. Serve.
Source : allrecipes.Com