When you think of comfort food, two classics might come to mind: apple pie and coffee cake. But what if we combined the two? Imagine a dish that marries the comforting flavors of a classic apple pie with the spongy texture of a delightful coffee cake. Today, I’m going to share the magic with you!
The Secrets Behind Perfect Apple Pie Filling Coffee Cake
Apples: The choice of apples matters. Mixing tart Granny Smith apples with sweet Honeycrisp gives a balanced flavor.
Freshness: Always use fresh ingredients. Freshly ground cinnamon and high-quality butter can make a world of difference.
Oven Calibration: Ensure your oven temperature is accurate. An oven thermometer can help verify this.
Let It Rest: While it’s tempting to dive in right away, letting the cake rest for a bit allows flavors to meld.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the Apple Pie Filling:
- 4 medium-sized apples, peeled and diced (preferably a mix of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
For the Coffee Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- Apple Pie Filling:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the apples are slightly softened.
- Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and add it to the apples.
- Add butter and lemon juice. Stir and cook until the filling thickens, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Coffee Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, butter, milk, baking powder, salt, and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Spread the apple pie filling over the batter.
- Drop the remaining batter by spoonfuls over the apple pie filling.
- Streusel Topping:
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add in the cubed butter and use a fork or a pastry cutter to combine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top of the batter in the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, serve, and relish the delightful flavors of this sweet symphony!
- Creamy Topping: Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for added richness
- Beverage Pairing: A cup of freshly brewed coffee or spiced tea complements the cake beautifully.
- Garnish: A sprinkle of cinnamon or caramel drizzle elevates the presentation and taste.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Can I use pre-made apple pie filling?
A: Yes, though the flavor of homemade filling is unmatched, store-bought can save time.
Q2: How do I store leftovers?
A: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Q3: Can I make this gluten-free?
A: Absolutely! Substitute with your favorite gluten-free flour mix. Remember to check other ingredients for gluten traces.