Recipe type: snack
- 2¼ cups ( 312.5 grams ) All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar(100g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ cup milk(whole or 2%)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup melted butter or vegetable oil(115 g)
- oil for deep frying
- n a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients, flour baking powder, salt , sugar, grated orange, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the milk, eggs , vanilla and oil, mix well until everything has been fully incoporated. The batter should be smooth, thick and spoonable.
- In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil , until it is at least 3 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high (too little will result in flatter balls), and place on medium heat until oil is 375 degrees.
- I use my hands to scoop up the batter , you can do the same or use 2 spoons – one to scoop up the batter, and another spoon or spatula to drop it in the oil- in the shape of a ball. Do not overcrowd the pan. Do so in batches
- Fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
- Turn the ball over and fry for a few more minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Use a large spoon or something like that to take it out of the oil. I usually place them on napkins right away to soak up some of the excess oil.
- If desired, you can roll the finished product in table sugar or powdered sugar to make it sweeter
If the mixture is too thick add one to two tablespoon of milk.