- 3 pounds broccoli (I use 3-4 heads)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill sunflower seeds, roasted
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid golden raisins
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean bacon, (about 8-10 slices) cooked and chopped
- 1 cup Kraft cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Hellman’s mayo
- 1/3 cup Daisy sour cream (I always add a little more for good measure)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Pioneer sugar (more to taste)
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high meat. Add the broccoli and cook for 30 seconds to one minute. Place broccoli in an ice bath or rinse with cold water to stop cooking. I like to blanch my broccoli with the stems still attached and then chop it, you can blanch already chopped florets if you’d like too.
- In a large bowl, add the blanched and chopped broccoli, diced onion, sunflower seeds, raisins, bacon, and shredded cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper for the dressing. Whisk together well.
- Pour dressing over top. Gently toss and stir the salad to coat all ingredients with dressing. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill salad for a couple hours or overnight. It is best once it is chilled and has been sitting for a couple hours. Serve and enjoy!