- 3 tablespoons butter, plus butter for greasing baking dish
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Gruyere, grated
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and grease baking dish with butter. Take halved garlic and rub it around the baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt your butter and add in flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. You should have a paste-like sauce.
- Slowly pour in heavy cream and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Take off heat and stir in Gruyere until melted.
- Arrange potatoes in layers in your baking dish, adding salt and pepper between layers. Pour sauce over the potatoes so that they’re evenly covered. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and the top is golden and crispy.
Source : allrecipes.com