For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- dash black pepper
- large all-beef or Polish hot dogs (Costco has the best!)
- large buns (The ones at Costco fit perfectly)
- white onions
- banana peppers
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and set over high heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture barely starts to bubble, then remove from heat.
- Let cool completely. I like it to be room temperature, but you can chill it if you want.
- When you are ready to cook the hot dogs, set your grill to medium heat.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to make diagonal cuts in the hot dog a little more than halfway through. You want the cuts to make large W’s all the way down the dog. See photos.
- Grill the dogs until they are as black as you want them. Should take about 3-5 minutes per side. Don’t forget to flip them halfway. The dogs will curl into a smiley face because of the cuts. It’s because they’re so happy that you get to eat them.
- Butter the inside of the buns and place on the grill. Leave them for just a minute or so, until they get slightly crispy on the edges. Don’t overdo it or the bun will turn stale.
- Place the hot dog in the bun and top with tons of special sauce and any other desired toppings. If you are not eating right away, you can wrap the dog and the bun in foil to keep warm, like they do at JDawgs.
Source : allrecipes.Com