(makes 12-16 servings)
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shelled walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 8oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray two 9″ cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Cut out rounds of parchment paper and place at the bottom of cake pans. Spray the top of the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in the chopped nuts, coconut, and carrots.
- Pour the batter into the pans, set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the edges have pulled away from the sides, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a cake rack.
- To prepare the frosting, cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, and butter in a mixing bowl. Slowly sift in the confectioners’ sugar and beat until the mixture is free of lumps. Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, frost. Sprinkle the top with chopped walnuts, or create icing carrots to decorate with.
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes