Maybe you’re obsessed with the top secret ones you’ve bribed restaurant owners for, or the old, stained, hand-written family recipes uncovered in dusty attics or the complicated additions to your bulging recipe box of show-stopping sweets (for that bakery you’re determined to open someday).
Me, I love them all, but I’m particularly fond of ones that make me a weeknight warrior, the recipes that miraculously create a spectacular meal in one – count ‘em ONE – pot, and in under 30 minutes.
This Mexican Spaghetti recipe, also called fideo, is one that gets pulled out of the recipe box pretty frequently at my house (though I really don’t need the recipe anymore at this point, LOL), and you’ll definitely want to add it to your one-pot repertoire!
WHAT IS MEXICAN FIDEO?
Fideo means “noodle” in Spanish, and authentic Mexican spaghetti is cooked using the pilaf method, similar to Mexican rice, where the noodles are toasted, sautéed a bit with aromatics, then cooked in a mixture of tomatoes, water or broth, and Mexican spices.
There’s also a version that’s a tomato-free Mexican spaghetti with sour cream and ham – espagueti a la crema con jamón.
My version adds green chilies, corn, hearty ground beef, all with a generous sprinkling of cheese melting on top.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 (1-oz) package taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 can (10.75-oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10-oz) can R-otel diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (8-oz) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×9-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain fat. Return meat to skillet. Add taco seasoning and water. Stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in soup, Velveeta and Rotel tomatoes. Reduce heat to low, and cook until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cooked spaghetti and pour into prepared dish. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Source : allrecipes.com