Swiss Chicken Supreme: A Comforting Classic with a Cheesy Twist
Elevate Your Chicken Dinner with Creamy Swiss Cheese and Mushrooms
If you’re on the hunt for a comforting and elegant chicken dish that’s easy to prepare, look no further than Swiss Chicken Supreme. This delightful recipe takes boneless chicken breasts and transforms them into a creamy, cheesy masterpiece. With tender chicken, sautéed mushrooms, and a blanket of Swiss cheese, this dish is perfect for both a weeknight dinner and a special occasion. Get ready to savor every bite of this warm, cheesy delight.
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (white or cremini)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the Chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the all-purpose flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted and starts to sizzle, add the chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. They don’t need to be fully cooked at this stage, as they will continue to cook in the oven. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
2. Prepare the Mushroom Sauce:
- In the same skillet, add the sliced mushrooms and chopped onion. Sauté them for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth, heavy cream, grated Parmesan cheese, shredded Swiss cheese, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir the mixture well until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
3. Combine and Bake:
- Return the cooked chicken breasts to the skillet, nestling them into the creamy mushroom sauce.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Optionally, you can broil the dish for the last 2-3 minutes to achieve a golden, bubbly top.
4. Garnish and Serve:
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and if desired, garnish the Swiss Chicken Supreme with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve hot, allowing each person to spoon some of the creamy mushroom sauce over their chicken.
- If you’re short on time, you can use thin-sliced chicken cutlets instead of full chicken breasts. They will cook faster.
- For a bit of added freshness, squeeze a little lemon juice over the chicken just before serving.
- If you prefer a stronger Swiss cheese flavor, you can sprinkle extra shredded Swiss cheese on top of the chicken before baking.
- Add some spinach or steamed broccoli to the sauce for a pop of color and extra nutrients.
- Experiment with different cheese combinations. Gruyère or Emmental cheese pairs wonderfully with Swiss.
Swiss Chicken Supreme is a versatile dish that pairs beautifully with a variety of sides, from mashed potatoes to rice or a simple green salad. The creamy mushroom sauce elevates this chicken dinner to a whole new level of deliciousness. Whether you’re cooking for family, friends, or a special someone, this recipe is sure to impress and satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy!