SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk, as needed
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato, fresh or canned
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Use two forks to cut in butter into the dry mixture until it forms pea-sized chunks.
- Add the milk and sweet potatoes, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it gently to form a ball. (Take care not to overwork the dough, or the biscuits can become overly dense and chewy.)
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough and cut it into 2-inch rounds.
- Place the biscuit rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow the biscuits to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top them with butter, or, if you want to reduce the number of calories, drizzle olive oil over them instead.
Recipe adapted from 100 Days Of Real Food