Yield: 4 servings
- 2 (about 2 lb. each) sugar pumpkins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus extra for pumpkins
- ½ teaspoon black pepper plus extra for pumpkins
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wipe the pumpkins clean with a wet paper towel. Microwave each pumpkin for 2 minutes (1 minute on each side), to make them just a little softer and easier to cut.
- Using a sharp chef’s knife, cut the pumpkins in half. Scoop out the pulp and seeds, reserving the seeds for roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Place the pumpkins, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until fork-tender, 45-50 minutes.
- While the pumpkins are baking, prepare the filling. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer raw, stirring to break the meat up as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, thyme and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, 2 more minutes.
- Remove the filling from heat. When the pumpkins are ready, sprinkle them with a little kosher salt and black pepper, then stuff them with the filling.
- Return the stuffed pumpkins to the oven. If you plan to serve right away, bake 10 more minutes, just until heated through. If you plan to serve later, lower oven heat to 200 degrees F and keep the stuffed pumpkins in the warm oven for up to 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: ½ pumpkin; Calories: 416; Fat: 24g; Carbohydrates: 29g;Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 355mg; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 25g