No-Bake Trifle: Perfect for Berry Season
The berries the last few months have been lackluster, but I was thrilled to find some marvelous ripe gems at the market. This no-bake trifle would not be nearly as tasty with frozen or pale tasteless berries. Save this recipe for strawberry season or around the holidays when you can often find some lovely berries.
Tips for Making a Trifle:
Since a trifle is made in special, straight sided glass bowl, care is needed to make a beautiful presentation. Smears up and down the sides of the container defeat the purpose of using a transparent serving piece.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 38 crackers)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) strawberry pie filling
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the sour cream; mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir into cream cheese mixture. Fold in whipped topping.
- In a small bowl, combine crackers and butter.
- In a 2-1/2-qt. trifle bowl, layer half of the cream cheese mixture, crumbs and pie filling.
- Repeat layers. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.