Our Southern Style Cabbage Soup will quickly become a family favorite. This warm and hearty dish is frugal to prepare and great for year round cooking.
They say ‘the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’. Anytime I tell my husband I am making Cabbage Soup for dinner, he calls me a few extra times during his work day! This dish is popular in my home for it’s flavor and for it’s stick-to-the-ribs goodness.
Having been born and raised in the south, I grew up eating Cabbage soup cooked just like this, seasoned with ham bits and served with a side of cornbread.
The Benefits of Eating Cabbage include:
- 1/2 cup of cooked cabbage provides 47% of your daily Vitamin C*
- 1/2 cup also provides 102% of Vitamin K*
- Cabbage contains antioxidants
- Cabbage soup is a frugal meal
How to Buy Cabbage
- Select a head of cabbage which is firm and compact.
- Any markings may indicate damage such as worm damage.
- Typically at the grocery store you will find heads of cabbage with all of the loose outer dark green leaves already removed. If you want to use the darker green outer leaves, shop at your local farmers market for locally grown cabbage.
- Cabbage is a cooler weather crop so it should be available fresh throughout the winter months.
- 1 small head of cabbage-chopped
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef
- 2 14 1/2 cans of stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 can of rotel
- 2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 stalks of celery finely-chopped
- 1 small bell pepper finely-chopped
- Diced potatoes
- 2 tbs of salsa; optional
- Knorr Beef Broth, makes three cups of broth.
- Spices; season to taste.
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- Dash of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. I add a lot!
- Dash of Old Bay Seasoning
- Dash of Salt-Free Mrs Dash
- Sauté celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil and set aside
- Brown ground beef and drain off fat.
- lightly toss cabbage in 4 Tbsp butter until cabbage is tender
- Add cabbage and other ingredients until cabbage is tender and potatoes are soft
- Combine all ingredients in dutch oven or large pot and cook until potatoes