- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- canola oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cayenne.
- In a separate, medium bowl, combine milk, buttermilk, eggs, and chopped onion. Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
- Set the bowl aside to rest for one hour.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat about 2 inches of oil until it reaches 360 degrees F.
- Drop small, teaspoon-sized rounds of batter into the oil. Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with tartar sauce if desired. Enjoy!
Source : allrecipes.com