- 3-4 sweet onions, large
- 2 lbs bacon, thin sliced
- Jeff’s original barbecue sauce
- Jeff’s original rub
- Toothpicks (optional)
- Cut the root end and stem end off the onion.
- Peel the skin from the outer layer of the onion.
- Cut the onion into ½ inch slices and remove the centers to only leave about 2 layers.
- Brush barbecue sauce onto the top of the onion slices then sprinkle with Jeffs’ original rub.
- Flip the onion slices over and repeat the sauce and rub on the other side.
- Wrap strips of thin bacon around the edges of the onion slices. Expect to use about 2-3 slices each.
- Lay the bacon wrapped onion rings onto a Bradley rack or cooling rack and sprinkle with a little more rub.
- Set up your smoker for cooking at 240°F with indirect heat using pecan wood for smoke.
- Smoke cook the onion rings for about 2 hours or until the bacon is crisp and nicely browned.
- Serve immediately when finished.
Source : allrecipes.Com