Easy, family-friendly recipe to make for dinner on a busy day.
- 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (see *Tips below)
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- One 14-ounce can diced no-salt-added tomatoes, including juice
- One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and quartered
- 3 pounds skinless boneless chicken (mix breasts and thighs, if you wish)
- 2 large red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- cooked rice, for serving (or something else, if you prefer)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions; cook, stirring, until softened- about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, herbes, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Stir in artichoke hearts and remove from heat.
- Arrange the chicken pieces evenly over the bottom of your slow cooker insert and pour the tomato mixture on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir in the bell pepper and basil. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- If you don’t wish to use wine in the recipe, you can sub chicken broth for the wine.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use brands of artichoke hearts, tomato and chicken broth that are known to be GF.
- 5 smart points