- Servings: 6 | Serving size: 1/6 of recipe |
- 1 large roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1″ cubes (optional, substitute with sweet potatoes for a Paleo-friendly recipe)
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Rub the outside of chicken with olive oil. Combine spices and rub on the outside of the chicken. Place minced garlic in the cavity along with a little more salt and pepper. Add water to the slow cooker, next the celery and the chicken on top, breast side up. The celery prevents the chicken from browning too much on the bottom.
- Add carrots and potatoes around chicken. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165-170 degrees and veggies are tender. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness or pierce with a fork, to make sure the juices run clear.
- For extra browning, carefully remove chicken from the slow cooker, place in a large roasting pan and broil until desired color has been reached. Garnish chicken with fresh thyme, if desired.
- Note: Adding water is not necessary, but I like to add 1/4 cup for additional moisture.
- Tip: Cook with skin for additional moisture. Be sure to remove and discard before serving.
Nutritional Info :
- Calories: 178 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 31 mg | Sodium: 104 mg | Carbohydrates: 15 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints: 5