- 1 lb black eyed peas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ham hock or shank
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce
- Cover beans with 6-8 cups of water and soak over night or quick soak. To quick soak, cover beans with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Spray a large stock pot with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add getable mixture, ham hock, bay leaf, beans, water and bouillon to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hock. If you would like to include the ham off the bone, dice into pieces and return to ham to the slow cooker. Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and dashes of hot sauce. Scoop beans into a large bowl and add desired amount of “broth”. Dig in and enjoy!
Source : allrecipes.com