I soaked my beans overnight, could I put my crock pot on high as to cut the hours of cooking the soup? I am just making the soup so rating will come later.
(makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup dried kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- black pepper to taste
- 14oz can of whole tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Put 4 cups vegetable broth, 2 cups water, the beans, barley, garlic, carrots, celery, onions, zucchini, bay leaves, salt, and spices in the slow cooker.
- Squeeze the tomatoes through your hands over the pot to break them down, then add to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high until the beans are tender and the soup is thick (about 8 hours).
- Before serving, add the spinach and cheese, and stir until the spinach wilts (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the bay leaves, and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Optionally drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil before serving.
Recipe adapted from Eating Well