- Prep time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook time: 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- Yield: 10 servings
- Serving size: Heaping ¾ cup, about 4 ounces
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2½ pounds center cut pork loin, trimmed of fat and silver skin
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup all natural bbq sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin, cinnamon, and black pepper.
- Pat the pork dry with paper towels, and cut the loin into 3-4 large pieces. This will speed up cooking time and make the pork more manageable to shred.
- Pour the dry rub onto a baking sheet, or in a large bowl, and coat the pork in it, making sure to get all sides.
- Place the onions at the bottom of the slow cooker, and the pork on top of them. Pour the chicken broth around the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, or until the pork is cooked and fork tender. Using tongs, remove the cooked pork from the slow cooker onto a cutting board or baking sheet and shred with two forks.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large mixing bowl and pour onion and liquids out of the slow cooker, reserving the liquids. Discard the onions, or serve with the shredded pork as desired.
- Put the shredded pork back into the slow cooker and stir in the BBQ sauce with ¼ to ½ cup of the reserved cooking liquid, enough to moisten the meat.
- Per Serving: (Heaping ¾ cup, about 4-ounces)
- Calories: 221
- Calories from fat: 71
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- Sodium: 723mg
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein: 26g
- WWP+: 5
- SmartPoints: 6
The nutrition content of recipes on 1Krecipe.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.
- Source: SkinnyMom.com