- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground/minced beef
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 28 oz can crushed/chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) beef broth or fresh beef stock
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, uncooked (or similar pasta shape)
- 1. Warm the olive oil in a skillet and brown the beef, then transfer it to your slow cooker, along with all of the other ingredients, save for the kidney beans, cannellini beans and pasta, and set to cook for 7 -8 hours on low or 3 -4 hours on high.
- 2. 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the beans and pasta, add salt and pepper to taste and discard the bay leaves.
Serve piping hot, to cries of great joy. Some people might want salad with their soup, and it would taste great; but really? You probably just need some decent rustic-style bread and a spoon!