(makes 4 servings)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1oz Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked ditalini pasta
- Extra Parmesan cheese for topping.
- In a slow cooker, combine broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, herbs, Parmesan cheese rind, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Forty minutes before the soup is done, add the zucchini and spinach. Cover and cook 30 more minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta, cook for another 10 minutes. remove the bay leaves, rosemary sprig, Parmesan rind, and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from Food Network