Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas: Creamy Tex-Mex Comfort on Your Plate
An Effortless Recipe for Delicious Chicken Enchiladas
If you’re on the hunt for a comforting Tex-Mex dish that’s both delicious and easy to prepare, look no further. These Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are the answer to your weeknight dinner woes. Combining tender chicken, creamy sour cream, and flavorful spices, these enchiladas are a guaranteed family favorite. Let’s dive into this simple yet satisfying recipe.
For the Chicken Enchiladas:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken works perfectly)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or your choice of cheese)
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 small flour tortillas (6-inch size)
For the Enchilada Sauce:
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced black olives
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced jalapeños
- Avocado slices
- Extra sour cream
1. Preheat Your Oven:
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Prepare the Enchilada Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheese, diced green chilies, diced onion, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Make sure everything is well mixed.
3. Assemble the Enchiladas:
- Gently warm the flour tortillas in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to make them more pliable.
- Spoon a generous portion of the chicken filling onto each tortilla, then roll them up tightly, placing them seam-side down in a baking dish.
4. Pour on the Enchilada Sauce:
- Evenly pour the enchilada sauce over the rolled enchiladas.
5. Add a Layer of Cheese:
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over the enchiladas.
6. Bake Until Bubbly:
- Cover your baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the enchiladas are thoroughly heated, and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
7. Garnish and Serve:
- Once out of the oven, garnish your Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas with chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, sliced black olives, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, and avocado slices to your heart’s content.
- These enchiladas are delightful with an extra dollop of sour cream if you like.
Tips and Variations:
- If you prefer corn tortillas over flour tortillas, feel free to use them. Warm them slightly before filling and rolling to prevent cracking.
- Saute the diced onion in a skillet until it’s translucent for added flavor.
- Customize your enchiladas with extras like black beans, corn kernels, or sautéed bell peppers.
- Accompany your Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas with a side of Mexican rice, refried beans, or a simple green salad for a satisfying meal.
- Any leftover enchiladas can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat them in the microwave or oven.
- These Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are a wonderful way to bring the flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine to your table without a lot of fuss. Whether you’re feeding your family on a busy weeknight or hosting a dinner gathering, this recipe is a surefire hit. Enjoy!