125g butter, softened
¾ cup caster sugar
2 organic eggs, beaten
1½ cups of fine semolina
1½ tsp baking powder
¾ cups plain organic yoghurt
Whole blanched almonds, to decorate
2 cups caster sugar
¾ cup of water
Juice of two lemons
A good splash of rosewater
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Line a 17cm x 27cm slice tin with baking paper leaving a slight overhang on all sides.
2. In a bowl beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the beaten eggs to the butter mixture and then fold in the semolina, baking powder and yogurt and mix to combine.
3. Spread the mixture into the prepared tin and arrange the almonds on top in rows so that each cut slice will hold an almond. Bake for 35 minutes or until the surface springs back when pressed.
4. To make the syrup, combine all the ingredients except the rosewater in a saucepan. Bring to boil and then gently simmer for 5 minutes to form a syrup. Stir in the rosewater to taste and allow to cool.
5. Remove the cake from the oven and pour the cold syrup over the hot cake while still in the tin. Once the cake is cold cut into diamonds or squares. This cake will last well for 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container.
Source : allrecipes.com