Salted chocolate caramel seems like the latest trend, and honestly, I am completely on board! Chocolate plus caramel with a little sea salt- i’m not sure it gets much easier, or TASTIER. These Salted Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bars are the best homemade candy bar ever! And the best part is that it’s only FOUR ingredients, and you don’t need a candy thermometer or any special equipment. It’s pretty much fool-proof, and fail-proof.
HOW TO MAKE SALTED CHOCOLATE CARAMEL PRETZEL BARS (tastesbetterfromscratch.com):
First, melt your chocolate. Good quality chocolate chips are a must! I like the ghiardelli brand of chocolate chips, for melting, or you could even melt a a couple of Hershey’s chocolate bars. Next, Smooth the melted chocolate onto parchment paper. Throw on some pretzels (they don’t need to be in an even layer). Then, drizzle the pretzels generously with melted caramel and top the bars with some more melted chocolate and a little sprinkle of sea salt–YUM!
The caramel is what makes everything stick together! I like to use these Kraft Caramel Bits rather than wrapped caramel cubes because you don’t have to unwrap them (thank goodness)! The melted caramel is also the perfect texture. There’s nothing worse then hard, sticky caramel, right?! ALSO, if you prefer to make the caramel FROM SCRATCH, use this homemade caramel recipe.
These are the perfect treat for pretty much any occasion. I sent them with my husband for his work cookie exchange during Christmas and his office friends went crazy for them. (Kind of embarrassing considering how EASY they are, but they didn’t need to know that 🙂 )
They’d also be perfect for Valentine’s day. But let’s be honest, you really don’t need any excuse at all–just a sweet tooth and a few minutes of your time. Enjoy!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 reg. bag of pretzels
- 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Line a large bar pan with parchment paper, cover with pretzels
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat. When it begins to bubble add the brown sugar. Stirring occasionally let the butter/sugar mixture meld together and brown. This should take about 3 minutes. Do NOT let it boil, you will have sticky goo that is no good.
- When you have a nice, brown caramel pour it over the pretzels, slowly and evenly. You can then use a spatula to spread it out, you have to work quickly and gently. It hardens fast so even pouring is the best method.
- Bake the sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sheet from the oven and sprinkle the whole bag of chocolate chips evenly over the mixture.