Author: Melissa Sperka
- 1½ cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 Recipe Old Fashioned Butter Cake OR 1 (15.25) oz Butter Cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- 1⅓ cup quality prepared caramel or dulce de leche, divided
- 1 (16) oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spread the pecans and ½ cup coconut on a sheet pan in a single layer. Toast the nuts for 6 minutes, then remove to cool.
- Toast the coconut for 6-8 minutes stirring periodically for even browning, Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the butter cake per the directions. After preparing the batter mix 1 cup coconut into the batter by hand.
- Spread the cake batter evenly into the pan. Bounce the pan a few times on the counter to remove any trapped air bubbles..
- Bake per the package instructions until golden and a tester inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Remove from the oven and immediately poke the cake generously using a fork.
- Pour 1 cup caramel over the hot cake. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to spread evenly gently pressing into the holes. Cool completely.
- After cooling, frost the top with whipped cream. Drizzle with the remaining caramel and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Top with toasted coconut and pecans.
- Store chilled..