- 1 clove garlic, sliced, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons Asian chile pepper sauce (such as sambal oelek), or more to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Mash garlic to a paste with a mortar and pestle. Mix chile pepper sauce, maple syrup, soy sauce, mayonnaise, and rice vinegar into garlic until marinade is thoroughly combined.
- Transfer chicken thighs to a large flat container (such as a baking dish) and pour marinade over chicken; stir until chicken is coated. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 3 hours; if preferred, let stand about 30 minutes at room temperature. Unwrap dish and sprinkle with salt.
- Preheat charcoal grill to high heat.
- Place chicken thighs onto the hot grill with smooth sides down. Cook until chicken shows grill marks, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook until other side shows grill marks, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook, moving them occasionally and turning over every 2 minutes, until meat is no longer pink inside and the thighs are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a platter, let rest for 5 minutes, and serve garnished with lime wedges.