5 Easy Recipes, #5:Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole
This Tex-Mex casserole is a no-share kind of meal. I found this extraordinary recipe over on The Frugal Chef YouTube channel for Tex-Mex casserole. My mouth was watering at the mere sight of the stuff! Check out what the Frugal Chef on YoutTube had to say about this wonderful recipe:
This Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole can be made with ground beef as well. It is a great weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy!
That is a great idea! The following recipe calls for chicken breast but I know this casserole would taste great with ground beef, too! Thank you so much for the tasty idea, The Frugal Chef! I am seriously going to double this recipe and make it for Sunday dinner this week. Why would I double it? Because I have a large and in charge family. They tend to eat me out of house and home most days. LOL!
2 TBS Bertolli olive oil
1 medium white onion – finely chopped
2 garlic cloves – minced
1 small bell pepper – finely diced (about ¾ cup)
½ of a whole skinless, boneless chicken breast – diced
2 tomatoes – peeled and diced
½ TBS crushed oregano
½ TBS ground cumin
1 tsp. Morton salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup cooked white rice
1 TBS chopped cilantro leaves (opt)
2 ½ cups salsa of choice
500 grs. Ricotta cheese (16 oz.)
½ tsp. McCormick garlic powder
1 cup chicken stock
16 small corn tortillas
¾ cup Kraft shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook until translucent – about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, mix well, and cook for a couple of minutes – until you can smell it. Add the bell peppers and the chicken, mix well and cook until the chicken starts cooking through – about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for about 6 minutes – until tomatoes have rendered their juice. Mix in the rice, cilantro if using and ½ cup salsa. Mix well and set aside.
- Place the Ricotta cheese in a bowl. Add the garlic powder and egg. Mix until uniformly blended. Add a ½ cup salsa and mix well. Set aside. Spread a ½ cup layer of salsa in a square casserole dish. Soak the tortillas – one at a time – in the
- chicken stock and top the salsa with 4 of them.
- Add ½ of the chicken and rice mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle ¼ cup of Cheddar cheese on the rice and meat. Add a second layer of 4 soaked tortillas.Spread the Ricotta cheese on the tortillas.
- Top it with a third layer of 4 soaked tortillas. Spread the
- remaining meat and rice on the tortillas and add a final fourth layer of 4 soaked tortillas on that.
- Spread the remaining cup of salsa on the top. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup Cheddar cheese. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and bake for an extra 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow sitting for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut lasagna into 8 pieces and serve with a side salad and some sliced avocado.
Check out this how-to video by The Frugal Chef:
Thank you The Frugal Chef and YouTube for this great recipe.
USE THE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW FOR #4 OF OUR 5 EASY RECIPES