If you want to use full fat ingredients, by all means, it’s your choice, but if you want to keep it lighter for your family or for guests, stick to this recipe. This would be a great little dessert to serve with your St. Patrick’s Day feast or as a fun summertime dessert. You can either refrigerate or freeze this pie, but general consensus agrees that the frozen pie is better.
- Serves: 8
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: n. a. (at least 2 hours inactive freezing or refrigerating time)
- 1 package (3.4 oz.) Jell-O pistachio flavor instant pudding (fat free and sugar free version)
- 1 1/2 cups cold skim milk
- 2 cups thawed Cool Whip Free, divided
- 6 Oreo Mint Creme cookies, chopped
- 1 Oreo pie crust (or any other pre-made chocolate crumb crust)
- 1 square Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. mint extract (optional)
- Green food coloring (optional)
Beat the pudding mix and milk in a large bowl with a whisk for 2 minutes. (If you don’t want the nuts from the pudding, you can sift the pudding mix before blending it with the milk.) Stir in the Cool Whip and chopped cookies. Gently spoon the mixture into the crust.
Cover with the remaining Cool Whip, then drizzle with the melted chocolate.
Refrigerate or freeze for at least 2 hours, or until firm. Slice and serve! Note that if you froze the pie, let it sit out for about 10 minutes to thaw slightly before cutting.
If you want an even more pronounced mint flavor, you can add the mint extract to the pudding mixture. You can also add a few drops of green food coloring to the mixture if you want a stronger shade of green – for a rich green color, I had to add about 10 drops of food coloring. If you want a really dark green colored pie, you can add as much as you wish.