These are a super-sweet no-bake treat that are perfect for parties and cake stalls.
Serves: 12 makes: 12 | Prep: 0:30
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 8 Allen’s Redskin lolly
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- In a small saucepan over gentle heat, pour half of the condensed milk, and add Redskins. Stir until Redskins melt and the mixture becomes smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift 1/2 cup icing sugar and stir through 2 1/4 cups coconut. Pour over melted Redskin mixture and combine well.
- In a second bowl, sift remaining 1 cup of icing sugar then stir through remaining 1 3/4 cups of coconut. Add remaining condensed milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Line a square cake tin with baking paper and press pink mixture into the base. Top with white mixture and press down evenly. Refrigerate for an hour to set.
- Slice into small squares.
- This coconut ice keeps well in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
- Rolling the layers flat using a rolling pin can make it easier to press each layer into the tin evenly.
- You can also melt the redskins and condensed milk in the microwave in short 30 second bursts, stirring in between.
How to make Redskin coconut ice
The pink layer in coconut ice is usually just coloured pink but this genius recipe uses Redskin lollies to flavour AND colour the pink layer. A simple no-bake sweet treat that’s also egg-free.
There’s a bit of melting involved but after that, it’s just mix in a bowl and press it into a tin. Refrigerate for one hour and cut it into delicious squares for the next school cake stall.