- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 3 assorted bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 (32 oz.) box low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bunch fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- herb infuser
- garlic croutons, garnish
- parmesan cheese, grated, garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and sauté onion and bell pepper for 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, then season generously with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Pushing veggies to the edges of pot, add ground sausage and cook, breaking up as necessary, until browned. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Taking your herb infuser, insert bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and fresh oregano, if using. Seal herb infuser and set aside.
- Stir in marinara sauce and cook for 2 minutes, then pour in chicken broth and drop in packed herb infuser. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, then stir in heavy cream. Remove herb infuser when ready to serve.
- Ladle soup to serving bowls and garnish with croutons and cheese. Enjoy!
Source : allrecipes.com