Chocolate has been a part of our lives. We love the smooth, sweet and creamy taste we get from eating them. Because of this, a lot of companies produce different kind of chocolates that we can indulge in and enjoy. They come in different flavors, sizes, shapes, packaging, and even color. But are chocolates created equal when it comes to health issues?
Not all chocolates are healthy. Some have too much sugar, some even have caffeine, and others contain excessive calories and body fats. Aside from these, there are more health risks seen by experts in some chocolate products like the famous M&Ms. These colorful and fun chocolates are going through health issues that most people are not aware of.
There were a lot of clamors and protests against the production of M&Ms because of the different health risks it may bring to the consumers. The issue on health risks of M&Ms date back in 1976, when Red candies were removed from the production because to consumers’ health concerns of suspected carcinogen found in dye FD&C Red #2 in 1986 red candies were reintroduced and Mars, inc. has continued to receive petitions about removing the artificial colors.
These are the health problems we can get from the ingredients of M&Ms:
Soy lecithin: 93% of soy used in M&M chocolates is genetically modified. This can cause breast cancer, has negative effects on fertility and reproduction, may lead to behavioral and cerebral abnormalities.
Lake: If you can notice, there is a word “Lake” included in the colors used for the artificial color coatings of the M&Ms chocolate.
This means salt was added to the color. This makes the color insoluble in liquids. Thus having the slogan, “Melts in your mouth, not in your hands.”
According to researches and studies related to the incidents raised by people severely affected by the synthetic colors, here are the bad effects. You might want to recall if you have experienced some of these when you consumed a number of M&Ms.
This was lab-tested using rats. This chemical was discovered to be producing malignant tumors at the site of injection and by ingestion in the rats used. Asthma, hives, hay fever, low blood pressure, allergic reactions are the possible effects. If you are aspirin sensitive, you should not be taking aspirin when trying to attend to these health problems.