A good friend gave me this recipe and I make these every Christmas. Everyone loves them and says they are better than those from the bakery. They are a bit of work but are worth it.
We loved the almond paste and the almond extract in this recipe. They have a very distinct flavor that really makes these special… Well, that and the adorable colors. Enjoy!
- 8 oz almond paste
- 3 stick butter
- 1 c sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 c flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz seedless raspberry preserves
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- red, green and yellow food coloring
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and line 3 10×15" cookie sheets with either waxed paper or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until fairly stiff but not dry. In a large bowl, grate almond paste. Add butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract and mix well. Combine flour, salt and baking powder and add to mixture. Beat well. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Divide dough into three parts and color one red, one green and the other yellow. Spread batter into prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes.
- Immediately invert one color onto 4th cookie sheet and spread with a thin layer of raspberry preserves. Invert next color on top of first and spread with preserves. Top with third color. Cool in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler or microwave. Spread chocolate quickly over the top layer and top with sprinkles. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens. Cut into small rectangles and store in an air tight container.
Are We Friends on Pinterest?FOLLOW ME for more Great Recipes! @1krecipes