- Serving size: 1 piece.
- Smartpoints: 4
- 2Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 1⁄2pound(s) uncooked Yukon gold potato(es), medium-size, thinly sliced
- 1large uncooked shallot(s), thinly sliced
- 1clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 28oz canned diced tomatoes, packed in juice, well drained
- 10medium olive(s), black (Gaeta or Kalamata), pitted, roughly chopped
- 1sprig(s) fresh thyme, leaves lightly chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1⁄2tsp table salt, divided
- 1⁄2tsp ground allspice, divided
- 1⁄8tsp black pepper, freshly ground, divided
- 3Tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drizzle 1/2 Tbsp oil into a 10-inch round baking dish (3-inch deep); use your fingers to coat bottom of dish with oil.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with a layer of overlapping potato slices; top with half of shallots and all of garlic. Add half of tomatoes and half of olives; scatter on half of thyme. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp allspice and pinch pepper. Drizzle on 1/2 Tbsp oil; sprinkle on 1 1/2 Tbsp Pecorino.
- Make a second layer in the same way, ending with remaining 1 Tbsp oil and 1 1/2 Tbsp Pecorino.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil; bake until potatoes are tender, 1 hour. Increase heat to 425°F degrees, remove foil and bake just until top is lightly browned, 10-15 minutes more; remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing into 8 equal pieces.