I was in search of a potato soup recipe similar to Rafferty’s famous potato soup to make for my husband’s B-day. After reading endless soup recipes, I finally took all my favorite parts from each recipe and came up with this one. It’s now requested at ALL family functions during the winter months! Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY POTATO SOUP FROM SCRATCH
So the key to this recipe is making a good roux. It’s one of those things that we aren’t born knowing how to do, you know, like boiling water, but with a little practice you can make a roux to rival great sous chefs. It’s that fat and flour mixture that you slowly add liquid to that makes for a super creamy delicious soup.
- Start by cooking some cut up bacon in a large stock pot. It will render it’s fat which is the first thing you need for your epic roux.
- Next you want to sauté your veggies in the bacon fat until they are soft.
- Then add your flour, the second part of your roux!
- Now you slowly add your chicken stock. Guys, it’s really key that you go slowly here. I’m talking like two tablespoons at a time for the first little bit, fully whisking in your liquid. If you don’t do it that way, you won’t get as creamy of a soup.
- Now you just let your potatoes cook in there and add in your milk at the end.
This creamy potato soup with bacon takes about an hour to make, but a big chunk of the time is just letting the potatoes get soft.
And I have to say, we love a great soup like this for a weeknight dinner in the fall and winter. It’s so comforting and it’s the ultimate one pot meal.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
PLEASE, USE THE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW FOR THE RECIPE AND INGREDIENTS.