How to Make Coffee Cake with Sour Cream
Although I’m a huge fan of crumbs on every coffee cake I thought it would be great to top the coffee cake with gooey and sweet pecan pie filling instead the usual crumbs.
Moist cake with tender crumbs and delicious pecan pie filling packed into one dessert… WOW, I loved the idea! Pecan Pie Coffee Cake has it all!
The cake layer is my all-time favorite sour cream coffee cake recipe, I have already used for my Strawberry Cheesecake Coffee Cake and Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake . It’s my go-to coffee cake recipe! I like it so much because it makes super soft cake with tender crumbs. For this Pecan Pie Coffee Cake I used plain Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream, and it worked great.
The cake was really moist on its own, and when it soaked some of sweet and gooey pecan pie topping it became the best coffee cake I’ve ever tried.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- pinch of salt
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the sugar, butter, and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the egg and egg white, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 portions, alternating with 2 portions of buttermilk. Mix just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the pan on wire rack.
TO MAKE THE TOPPING:
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place the corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the pecans, egg, and salt.
- Use a wooden skewer* to poke multiple holes in the top of the cake.
- Pour the topping over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
*Use a skewer with a larger diameter than a toothpick. The topping mixture is a bit thick and will need slightly larger holes to soak into the cake.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE.. PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON OR OPPEN BUTTON BELOW FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!