A soul food cornbread dressing made from scratch. Full of spices, broth, chicken and homemade cornbread. Southern comfort!
Here are a few tips on how to make the best Southern, Old Fashioned Cornbread Dressing
- Use homemade cornbread. Cornbread is the base of cornbread dressing so it’s important that it tastes great. It’s so easy to make a good buttery, buttermilk cornbread from scratch. Most store mixes contain sugar anyway. If you need a cheat then let that come in with using rotisserie chicken, pre-chopped veggies, or store-bought chicken broth.
- Use a flavorful chicken broth/stock and add the chicken broth a little at a time to get a wet but not extra soupy texture. May Southern-style dressings are usually very moist yet firm enough to keep it’s shape when plated. Creating a wet texture will keep the dressing from drying out in the oven and give it that classic moist texture.
- TASTE, TASTE, TASTE! Before adding the eggs, adjust your spices to perfection. Your dressing mix should taste exactly the way you want your finished dressing to taste. Once satisfied mix in the eggs.
- Stir only as much as needed. Sometimes if you stir the dressing too much it will break down the cornbread crumb and give the dressing a mushy texture.
Ok that’s it I’ll hush. Go make cornbread dressing.
- 9 -10 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 ½ tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 Tsp of Sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of cooked chicken
- Place the crumbled cornbread in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped celery and onions. Mix.
- Pour the melted butter over all the ingredients along with 3 cups of the broth. (ONLY add 3 cups then more till you get a thick consistency) Add the seasonings gradually.
- Test to your taste.
- Mix well and spoon into a greased 9 x 13 casserole pan.
- Bake at 350-degrees for 30 minutes, covered. Take the cover off and bake an additional 30 minutes.
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON OR OPPEN BUTTON BELOW FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!