Pie lovers, rejoice! A recipe for the ultimate NO FAIL pie crust — plus extra tips on how to make a perfect crust, every time!
I got this recipe from Sister Lance in Virginia. It seriously can not go wrong! It makes 5 single pie crusts and last forever in the freezer. Just wrap well in plastic and take out about an hour before you want to use it. I use it for quiche and the hand pies and dessert pies too.
Without further ado, here are my top tips for baking a great pie crust, regardless of what recipe you use:
- Keep your fat cold.
- Pea-sized specks of butter should be visible in the mixture.
- Refrigerate the dough after mixing – but not for too long.
- Roll carefully and slowly.
- Rechill the dough before baking.
- Build a protective barrier to keep the crust crisp.
- Make plenty and freeze!
- Bake your pie on the bottom rack of the oven.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
Never Fail Pie Crust Recipe
- 4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups shortening
- 1 T sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 T vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Using a fork or pastry blender, mix together the first 4 ingredients..
- In a separate dish, beat the remaining ingredients. Combine the 2 mixtures, stirring with a fork until all ingredients are moistened. Then divide into 5 parts and shape into balls. Chill for 15 minutes before rolling out or wrap and freeze.
You May Also Like:
- Pecan pie – is one of our go-to pie recipes around the holidays and we’ve tinkered around over the years with all the recipes we can come up with
- Ready to use pie crust recipe – I got this recipe from Sister Lance in Virginia. It seriously can not go wrong! It makes 5 single pie crusts and last forever in the freezer.
- Easy pie crust recipe – How to Make the Perfect Pie Crust – Simple, Practical, and GOOD (Grandma’s Perfect Pie Crust)