The gallbladder is a small sac, in the form and size of a pear. It is places right under the liver. The gallbladder stores bile produced by the liver and helps in digestion of fats. After a meal, when the food enters the small intestine, bile is released by the gallbladder triggered by the hormone cholecystokinin. Then the bile flows into the small intestine and helps in breaking down fats.
If there is any kind of gallbladder disorders, it can be very difficult to digest any fats, which can cause pain and many other symptoms. Luckily, there are natural remedies which can help improve the function of the gallbladder.
Foods as Natural Remedies
- Foods rich in fiber
Rich in fiber food can help you boost the absorption and elimination of excess fat. Flax meal, for example, is a very helpful fiber and pectin supplement. Just mix 1 teaspoon flax meal in 8-ounce apple juice and the remedy is prepared.
- Foods high in vitamin C
Vitamin C- rich foods can help you in prevention from gallstones, has antioxidant effect and improves the immune protection. Foods rich in vitamin C are, for instance, red bell peppers, broccoli, dark leafy vegetables etc.
Artichoke is rich in caffeylquinic acids which can boost the bile flow of the gallbladder. The method is simple. Place two artichokes in a shallow dish with approximately ½ to 1 inch water at the bottom. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 4-5 minutes in a microwave. Scrape the flesh from the leaf between your teeth. Discard the pithy part of the leaf.
- Foods rich in alpha-lipoic acid
Alpha-lipoic acid is a fatty acid which has very powerful antioxidant effect. It can be found in spinach, broccoli, and potatoes and in organ meats also. Due to its antioxidant effect, it can help in preventing the formation of gallstones.
- Sauerkraut and sauerkraut juice
Regular consumption of sauerkraut and sauerkraut juice can enhance the bile flow. You can drink ½ cup of sauerkraut juice before breakfast, once or twice a week.
Herbs as Natural Remedies
Herbs have long been used to maintain or improve people`s health. Here are some suggestions for herbal tea, which can be very beneficial for the proper function of the gallbladder.
1 teaspoon herb (which you choose)
1 cup of hot water
Steep for 5-10 minutes if you use leafs or flowers or, steep 10-20 minutes if you use roots.
Drink regularly, 2-4 cups a day.
- Green tea– powerful antioxidant
- Globe artichoke– improves gallbladder and liver function, enhances the production of bile. Note: if there is bile duct obstruction, a gallbladder attack may occur. Consult your doctor before consuming this.
- Turmeric– helps liver function. High doses can have blood thinning effects.
- Milk thistle– powerful detoxifying effect on the liver and gallbladde
- Consume foods rich in antioxidants, such as cherries, blueberries and tomatoes, and vegetables like spinach, kelp, squash mad cauliflower.
- Eat foods high in B vitamins, like dark leafy greens and whole grains.
- Use healthy oils, like olive oil and coconut oil. Avoid processed foods, commercially baked goods and margarine.
- Consume more lean meats for protein. Avoid red meats.
- Avoid refined foods like pasta, white bread and refined sugar.
- Avoid potential allergens, like cheese, milk and ice cream, wheat and chemical food additives.
- Avoid alcohol