MOZZARELLA AND GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh French green beans, halved, ends removed (or use 2 cans green beans, rinsed and drained)
- 10 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F and set up a large bowl of ice water next to workstation.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add beans. Cook for 4-6 minutes, or until bright green and tender-crisp.
- Transfer green beans to ice bath to stop from cooking further, then drain and place in a large baking dish. (11×7 works well.)
- Melt butter in a medium pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, saute onion until softened. About 4 minutes.
- Stir in flour and garlic powder and cook for 1 minute, stirring until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in sour cream and cook until mixture just begins to boil.
- Pour sour cream mixture over green beans and mix together so everything is thoroughly coated, then sprinkle grated mozzarella over the top.
- Place baking dish in oven and cook for 20-22 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Tips