- 10 slices bacon cut into 1/4 – 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup maple syrup plus more for topping
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chopped bacon until very crispy, about 7-10 minutes. Place crumbled bacon on a paper towel covered plate to dry and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with muffin 15 liners and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together yellow cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Once mixed, create a well in the center of the cornmeal mixture. Set bowl aside.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs and gently whisk to break up yolk and whites. Add maple syrup, milk, yogurt, and vegetable oil to bowl, then whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, mix batter until moistened and most the large clumps are gone (a few small clumps are okay).
- Add about 3/4 of the prepared bacon to the batter and gently fold it in until mixed.
- Pour maple bacon muffin mix into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup up about 2/3 full. Note: This recipe is designed to make exactly 15 muffins. If you have excess muffin mix, resist making more muffins – instead, try to find room for the batter in the existing 15 muffins.
- Bake cornbread muffins for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When serving, sprinkle remaining crumbled bacon on top of the muffins and drizzle maple syrup on top.
Source : allrecipes.com