Here’s a sensational low carb, low calorie, low fat, low sugar and gluten free take on bruschetta. And, it’s drop dead delicious!!! One of my favorite.
Makes 16 pieces
for 1 zucchini bruschetta
Smartpoints : 1
4 large zucchini
Olive oil spray
A little salt and pepper
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or fours
2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
8 teaspoons Parmesan cheese
1. To Prepare Zucchini Boats: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil. Cut each zucchini in half. Using a small spoon or melon baller, scoop out middle section of the zucchini halves to form a boat, leaving a thin shell on each half. Cut each piece in half again. This will make 16 pieces.
2. Place on baking sheet. Spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle each with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 15-20 minutes until soft.
3. To prepare the tomato topping: In a medium bowl, toss together all tomato topping ingredients except Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Stir well before stuffing the zucchini boats.
4. When zucchini is baked, stuff each with about 2 tablespoons of tomato topping. Some will take a bit more. Drizzle balsamic mixture over each. Be sure to use all of it. You can go back to each and drizzle a little more. Sprinkle the top of each piece of zucchini with ½ teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese. Place back in oven and bake for 5 minutes.
5. Just like bruschetta, you’ll need to serve these on a little plate. They do fall a part a bit while eating them. So pop the fallen pieces right in your mouth!