- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese (such as cheddar)
- ½ cup flour
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
- Fry the bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel until cool. Crumble into small bits. Place the bacon bits into a large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp of bacon grease from the frying pan and over medium heat cook the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add to the bacon bits along with remaining ingredients (except butter/margarine) and blend well with a spoon or your hands (it’ll be sticky).
- Wash and dry your frying pan, then melt 1 tbsp of butter or margarine in it over medium heat.
- Scoop up about ¼ of a cup of the potato mixture and form it into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, flattening it out until it’s about ½ – ¾” thick.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden brown.
- For best results, serve immediately, while hot and crispy.
- Top with green onions, sour cream or ketchup.