Lemon Velvet Cake. Our most popular cake to date, for its real lemon flavor and incredible light, airy texture, while still staying moist and delicious.
LEMON VELVET CAKE AS A BIRTHDAY CAKE, ANNIVERSARY CAKE OR WEDDING CAKE.
2018 update: Since this recipe was first developed several years ago, I have heard from countless people who have made this cake for every possible occasion from an Easter Cake to a Mother’s Day Cake. Wherever you find lemon lovers, this cake is sure to to be a hit.
One word of caution about fondant and wedding cakes though. This is a very light textured cake, so if using fondant icing on a celebration cake be sure to use the thinnest layer you can.
Minimal stacking is also recommended unless you are using a weight supported stand. Too much weight can compress the light airy crumb structure of this cake.
- 1-1/4 c sifted all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 c sifted cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 c sugar
- 2/3 c vegetable oil
- 1/3 c shortening (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 c buttermilk
- zest of two lemons, grated and finely chopped
- 8 c powdered sugar
- 2 c butter
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp minced lemon zest (optional)
- 4 TBS milk
- Grease and four two 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with circles of parchment paper.
- Sift both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- With electric mixer, beat oil, shortening, vanilla and lemon extract. Beat at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Fold in lemon zest.
- Fold in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Begin and end with dry ingredients. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into two cake pans.Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes an turn out to finish cooling.
- Make frosting. Mix together powdered sugar, lemon zest and butter until it becomes crumbly.
- Add lemon extract and a little of the milk.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy, adding only enough milk to bring frosty to spreadable consistency.
- Fill and frost cake.
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES AND DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON FACEBOOK.