Ah, the aroma of a fresh-out-of-the-oven loaf fills the air! Today, we’ll be diving into the heart of a classic – Lemon Blueberry Loaf. This loaf combines the tangy zestiness of lemons with the sweet burst of blueberries. Ideal for breakfast, a mid-day snack, or even dessert, this loaf is sure to become a staple in your baking repertoire.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
Servings: 8-10 slices
For the Lemon Blueberry Loaf:
- 1 ½ cups plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
For the Lemon Glaze/Syrup:
- 2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat the Oven: Begin by setting your oven to 350°F (175°C). While it heats, grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set this mixture aside.
- Wet Ingredients: In another large bowl, beat the eggs and granulated sugar until the mixture becomes light and creamy. Add the yogurt (or sour cream), vanilla extract, and vegetable oil. Blend them together until smooth. Don’t forget to throw in the zesty lemon zest!
- Combining Dry and Wet: Gradually fold the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredients. Ensure you mix just enough to combine them without overmixing.
- Blueberries Time: Coat the blueberries with the remaining 1 tbsp of flour. This trick will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the loaf. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Bake: Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Slide it into the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes. A toothpick or skewer inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Lemon Glaze/Syrup: While the loaf bakes, combine the lemon juice with sifted confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl. Whisk it until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a bit more lemon juice. Too thin? Add some more confectioner’s sugar.
- Glaze it: Once your loaf is baked and out of the oven, let it cool slightly. While it’s still warm, drizzle your tantalizing lemon glaze/syrup over the top.
- Serve & Enjoy: After letting it cool completely, slice up your Lemon Blueberry Loaf and enjoy!
- Frozen vs. Fresh Blueberries: If you’re using frozen blueberries, don’t thaw them. Toss them directly into the batter to prevent your loaf from turning too blue.
- Storage: Keep your loaf wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for 2-3 days at room temperature. You can also refrigerate it for a week.
- Check out these amazing baking tools perfect for your loaf!
The Secrets Behind Perfect Lemon Blueberry Loaf:
- Consistency is Key: The balance between wet and dry ingredients ensures a moist yet fluffy loaf. Avoid overmixing; it can lead to a dense texture.
- Fresh Ingredients: Always use fresh lemons for the zest and juice. The quality and freshness of ingredients translate directly to flavor.
- Right Temperature: Ensuring your oven is preheated and at the right temperature is crucial. Using an oven thermometer can help maintain accuracy.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a dessert twist.
- Try toasting a slice and buttering it lightly for a warm breakfast treat.
- Pair with a cup of herbal tea or freshly brewed coffee for the perfect afternoon snack.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Can I use whole wheat flour?
Yes, though it might slightly alter the texture. Use a blend of half all-purpose and half whole wheat for best results.
- How to store the loaf?
As mentioned, an airtight container at room temperature will keep it fresh for 2-3 days.
- Can I freeze the loaf?
Absolutely! Wrap it in plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil, and it can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The Lemon Blueberry Loaf is a beautiful fusion of tangy and sweet, moist yet fluffy. It’s a versatile dish, perfect for numerous occasions. Whether it’s a cozy winter evening or a sunny summer morning, this loaf is your go-to recipe. So, the next time you’re looking to impress, remember this tantalizing delight!
📌 Loved this recipe? Make sure to PIN IT to your favorite baking board on Pinterest! Share the love and let others in on this tangy-sweet secret.