Since 1992, Family Circle magazine has hosted what is basically a presidential bake-off – but in print. Every election cycle, the two potential first ladies submit their best cookie recipe and readers vote on their favorite one. (And except for a few outliers this cookie bake-off tends to accurately predict the outcome of the actual election!) In 2000, Laura Bush submitted this recipe for her Texas Governor’s Mansion Cowboy Cookies while Tipper Gore put up her Ginger Snaps. Laura’s Cowboy Cookies won by a landslide and have since become Family Circle’s most widely circulated presidential cookie recipe.
And it’s easy to see why. These cookies are GOOD. They’re a chocolate chip cookie… but a chocolate chip cookie that’s been loaded with a few other ingredients that bring in a ton of extra texture and flavor. They’re big (as most things in Texas tend to be) and I can promise that every time you hand them out, you’ll end up with multiple requests for the recipe.
I’ve been making them for years and I’ve found that they’re pretty much universally loved. On one occasion I made them for my mother-in-law to bring to an event. She placed them on the dessert table when she arrived, and she said that so many people snuck to the back of the room during the speaker’s presentation to grab one that there were none left for the reception afterward. (And this recipe makes three dozen.)
The recipe starts as a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe but then folds in shredded coconut, rolled oats, chopped pecans, and cinnamon. That’s ten cups of additions stirred into the dough, so you’ll need your biggest bowl… and some sizable arm muscles. It’s a thick dough, but the end result is a cookie with a chew and texture that’s just positively unmatched.
TRY THESE OTHER OVER-THE-TOP COOKIES:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – The Best Chewy Cafe-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies – Amazing Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – Easy to assemble, deliciously Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipes
- Brown Sugar Cookies – It’s not the holidays without an epic cookie swap! We’re sharing our most popular Christmas cookies ever, so your sweet treat will be the star of the party.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients: