PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
Recipe type: Side Dish / Appetizer
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- butter or jam, for serving (see note)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease a 2 inch deep 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Add shortening and mix well. (You can use a hand mixer for this or you can transfer to a food processor to blend in the shortening.)
- Add baking soda to buttermilk. Pour into flour mixture and blend well.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface. Sprinkle dough with flour and knead a few times but do not over work the dough.
- Roll dough out ½ inch thick. Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut dough into as many circles as possible. (You could also use a jar lid or drinking glass to cut circles).
- Dip the biscuits in the vegetable oil being sure to coat all sides, and place side by side in baking pan. (They should be touching each other).
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with butter and jam.