A sweet, moist, dense key lime pound cake drizzled with a tart key lime glaze. A delicious Southern twist to a traditional pound cake.
This recipe I originally shared as part of a virtual progressive dinner – of course I brought the dessert. This cake has become one of my most popular cake recipes and if you missed it the first time around, you’ll definitely want to give it a try.
The recipe uses both butter and shortening in the batter. I thought about changing the recipe and using all butter, but decided not to because shortening creates higher, lighter-textured baked goods, while the butter adds great flavor. So I knew a combination would give me the best of both worlds.
- When it comes to measuring flour, a cup is not always a cup. Sifting is a must.
- This pound cake is dense and moist. The batter is thick and it takes a long time to bake. I baked it at 325 degrees F for 1 hour and 30 minutes. That low, slow baking makes this pound cake ‘crusty’ on the outside and with a soft, tender texture and small crumb inside. You’ll be tempted to take the cake out at 1 hour and 15 minutes because the outside is golden brown. Do not. Test it carefully (without moving the cake too much) with a small, long wooden skewer. The cake is done with no crumbs or dry crumbs are on the skewer.
- It takes a little patience to make. You’ll need to cream the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. This is a must.
- Also, add the eggs one at a time. You may want to dump them all in at once but resist the urge.
- Finally, allow the cake to cool at least 20 to 30 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a platter.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
- 1 c butter, softened
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 1/3 c key lime juice
- 5 large eggs
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking sodagreen food coloring (optional)
Key Lime Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1 1/2 t key lime zest
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/8 t salt
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 3 T key lime juice
- 1-2 T milk
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Prepare 3 layered cake pans, 10" tube pan, or 2 loaf pans.
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk and lime juice, set aside. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well to fully combine.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda and powder in separate bowl, stir to combine. Add flour and buttermilk mixtures to butter mixture, alternating,
- starting and ending with flour. Do not overmix. Add in food coloring (to desired darkness), stir just to combine. Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 30 - 35 minutes (layered), 50-60 minutes (pound), testing with a toothpick for doneness.
- Remove from oven and let rest in pans for 15 minutes before inverting onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with key lime juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, and 1 tablespoon milk, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition. Beat in up to 1 tablespoon additional milk for desired consistency.Garnish with key lime slices and kiwi slices.